Peer Mentor Program
Information & Application for Academic Year
Students at Stevens with academic success have been specifically selected to apply to be a Peer Mentor!
Peer Mentors are upper-class students who assist new students in their academic transition into college, and the mentoring process provides first-year students with the information, support, and encouragement they need to be successful at Stevens. The goal of the Peer Mentor Program is to provide an opportunity for new first-year students to connect with mentors who are knowledgeable about Stevens.
Benefits of Being a Peer Mentor
- Assist new students in making a healthy transition to Stevens
- Develop improved communication and crisis intervention skills, and gain an increased awareness of diversity
- Gain experience for future student leadership and professional opportunities
Responsibilities of a Peer Mentor
- Mentor a small group of students (your "mentees") individually during the academic year, most or all of whom will have the same major as you
- Contact your mentees at the start of Fall semester and periodically throughout the semester/year, acting as a reliable resource and referral agent and providing relevant information
- Attend Peer Mentor Training and activities as scheduled
- Plan activities with mentees
Qualifications of a Peer Mentor
- Knowledgeable about the Stevens community
- Personable, flexible, and considerate of the needs of new students
- Have at least an 2.5 grade point average
- Must not be on Coop during the fall semester
2013-2014 Peer Mentor Application: Return the completed application to the ASC drop-off box located on the 5th floor of the Howe Center. Be sure to sign up for a 20 minute interview time slot. Sign-up sheet is posted on the bulletin board. Interviews begin Wednesday, April 3, 2013.
ACADEMIC SUPPORT CENTER 201.216.8248 firstname.lastname@example.org
Located on the 5th Floor of the Howe Center with the Office of Undergraduate Academics.